Thursday, June 3, 2010

thrifty thursday

I have such a backlog of thrifting to post, but I have to skip over it all to show you what I found last week.
Wooden spools - a few hundred of them.
I've been picking them up for a few years now finding just a few here and there. I'd collected several dozen before happening on this find. The shop manager and I struck a deal for the whole bin.
What, you may ask, am I going to do with them?
Up til now, the ones I had just made me happy sitting in a glass jar, but this bounty has to be put to use.
I'd love to attach them as pulls on a piece of furniture in the craft room or make pegs like these.
I spotted a shelf like this at the flea market years ago and am still kicking myself for not buying it.
Wouldn't this be the sweetest valentine or thank you note?
I have some dollhouse furniture ideas as well, though they aren't fully formed in my head yet.
There were plenty of other toy ideas out there that didn't particularly appeal to me - maybe my kids are too old for many of them.

Some, like the ones below, are quite small. The ones on edge are the diameter of a penny. Perhaps charms on a necklace?

I was a little surprised that I didn't find hundreds of ideas for them when I googled wooden spool crafts. Anything come to mind for you?
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

Here's an idea, you could send them to me......they're a great find. Can you tell? I jeaslous

jenny said...

I saw a great spool based lamp on Pottery Barn (cord runs through the center of the spools) that I wish I would have gotten for my sewing room.

Princess Annalise said...

OMG! You did not tell me about this! Dying over here.

Carol (not Princess Annalise who keeps leaving herself signed in all over my stuff)

Shanti said...

Wow, what I find. I'm always looking for those. My mom strung them onto twine for a rattle/toy for the littlest ones and would glue wood beads to the top and let me paint them into dolls when I was older.

Diane said...

The stuff you come across amazes me. Too cool!