Monday, August 9, 2010

cushion for a cottage

A thank you gift for a generous hostess, who loaned us her lovely cottage for our vacation-

I'd intended to sew this up before we left and was going to leave it there for her to find when she arrived. The storms that knocked out our power before we left changed my plan.

The hankie was in my stash of vintage linens. Can you believe something so perfect was right here? I added a solid pink fabric and white piping from the stash as well.


After several attempts at putting the hankie on with monofilament thread and the machine, I gave up. The fabric was too delicate and it kept bunching up. I also wasn't happy with either a zig zag over the scallops or a straight line inside of them. The best solution was a simple whipstitch by hand with the monofilament. It's almost impossible to see how the hankie is attached and I was able to follow the scallops exactly.


Sadly, our hostess' time at the cottage is done for the summer. I think it might look cute on a screened-in suburban porch though.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Poppy B. said...

It's fabulous! Squeeeeeee!

Paola said...

Oh Wendy ... gorgeous.