Tuesday, February 10, 2009

a day at the beach

A friend sent me some upholstery swatch books that she'd saved for a time. I added them to the stash, revisiting them every now and then, but still had no idea just how to use them. It took another friend to see the potential - "Make a quilt for her!" In one instant it was clear.
A beach quilt, named as above.
For a friend who loves the beach.

No batting, backed in a twill I had on hand and tied with embroidery floss at all the corners.

I had four squares left over, perfect for a matching tote to carry it to the beach or park.

Our weather today (65 degrees in Chicago!) had me hoping it gets used soon.
(To that friend: I'm headed to the post office later this week.)
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Lunden said...

So cute! What a great idea. I hope your friend loves it.

Susie Sunshine said...

Fantastic job! Now she'll HAVE to invite us back!

Jan said...

To *that friend*: It is even more striking in person. You're going to love it!

abcgirl said...

what a great use of upholstery samples! i've got a few sets of those myself, but mine all have paper glued to the back with the information about each fabric. and they're not quite as big as yours. but maybe i could make a doll quilt....

blackbird said...

I'M BREATHLESS.

Poppy B. said...

Oh my goodness! That was for blackbird? Where was I when people were juggling massive volumes of upholstery samples?

Eleanor said...

GENIUS!!!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing, unique, practical, sturdy, well-thought-out gift you've created! I'm sure your friend will enjoy it for many years to come. I hear she loves the beach. Well done!
ErinH

NorahS said...

Beautiful. Lucky friend!!!

jacquie said...

totally cute and so practical...love the tote to carry it.