Tuesday, June 9, 2009

wrap skirt

#2 in my quest to sew up a summer's worth of skirts.
The pattern is from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross. A word of warning that you may have already seen on other blogs - if you are not very thin, you'll want to cut one to two extra panels before sewing them all together. (Sadly, I didn't see it until after I had finished the project.) Because the skirt is much larger at the hem, I'm hoping the small amount of overlap won't be such a big problem and I think I can ease my mind on a breezy day with some well placed snaps near the hip. Or I can check the weather report and if the air isn't still, I'll choose something else to wear.
(Hey, just had another idea - perhaps I could wear the wrap part in the front and add some buttons along the edge of the wrap to keep it in place. Thoughts?)
The fabric is from Denver fabrics and is a cotton lawn. I love the drape and softness of it, but I may need to wear a slip due to it being somewhat sheer.

Next skirt on the docket - a simple a-line out of some vintage drapery fabric from an estate sale.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

jenny said...

that fabric is great! I saw it on Denver Fabrics too, but wasn't sure how it would translate to a skirt. It works really well though! I might need to make another order.

Rebekah said...

I love the fabric on this! Good to know about the width issues too.