Thursday, August 6, 2009

thrifty thursday

Look what my neighbor put out on the curb:



After a lot of sanding, priming, painting and decoupaging:



Trixie has a new dresser.



The paper was left over from her walls. (Disty in cowslip by Laura Ashley - pattern is about 8 or 9 years old at this point.) I'm extremely happy with how the pattern lined up on the drawers. I did it by using one piece for both drawers and lining up the edges that meet with the outside edges of the paper which are designed to match the repeats when they butt up against one another. That sounds totally confusing - if you need more information, email me. I used regular modge podge to affix the paper to the drawers and the side panels of the dresser. (Those are really hard to see in the second picture, but they're papered as well.) A few more coats of modge podge over the top of the paper will protect it as well. The paper also lines the drawers, but isn't glued down.



The knobs are the only thing I'm not sure about. I'd planned to use milk glass and repurpose some I had in the house, but Restoration Hardware has stopped carrying them and I didn't have enough on hand. These are glass and came from The Great Indoors. I ran to several stores this past weekend and these were the best of what I could find, unless I just go with painted white wooden knobs. I had originally thought I'd put tiny knobs on the top two drawers and then use a larger size on the bottom. Any thoughts?

These may be permanent though - when Trixie saw the dresser she was thrilled that it had "jewels" on it.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

unmitigated me said...

Target has those knobs, too. I had them in blue in my bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Love it all and leave the sparkle for Trixie.

I actually liked the previous state of the dresser too.

Fellow Magpie

That One said...

Wow! Amazing what some elbow grease and imagination can accomplish.

I'm with Trixie - leave the green glass knobs on it. They're fantastic.

Rebekah said...

what an awesome transformation!

Jan said...

Fabulous transformation! If Trixie loves the jewel knobs, then I say, 'On to the next project!'

blackbird said...

I think those knobs are terrific! I know the knobs of which you speak at Resto and, while I like them, I think these are better with the pattern on the drawers - which I also recognize from a while ago!

whew.

Diane said...

You are so amazingly clever! The dresser looks fabulous with the glass knobs. I bet this is the cutest little girl's room ever.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Great makeover ! I think the green knobs look perfect on that little flower pattern .