Wednesday, February 13, 2008

have a heart

Not too appetizing, I know. Sadly, this might be the only thing I cook from scratch this week.

Ellie and I made up a batch of valentine play dough yesterday.


The idea is from Family Fun Magazine (though I can't remember the year and it isn't on the page I saved).


After fixing several hearts that Trixie "helped" with, we finally had 21 of these for tomorrow.


A word of caution: I didn't think ahead about how heavy 21 of these would be, nor did I consider how easily they might be smashed. Looks like I'll be carrying them into class tomorrow.

If you're interested, the recipe is an easy one. I used the one from the magazine that said it would make 25 hearts. Our cookie cutter must have been on the small side because we could have easily made over 30. Soon after we finished I found a nearly identical recipe from Ellie's old "messy business" art class. It cuts the recipe in thirds, so I'm more likely to choose this one in the future(and you can make the play dough smell nice with the kool aid!)

Play Dough

1 cup flour

1/2 cup salt

2 tsp. cream of tartar

1 cup water

2 tbs veg. oil

food coloring or 1 pkg. of kool-aid

Add all ingredients together in a pan over medium low heat on stovetop. Stir constantly for 5-10 minutes until play dough starts to form. When it becomes too hard to stir, remove it from heat. Let cool and knead into large ball.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew and I made purple playdough. We decided to make balls instead of hearts, so I don't have to worry about the smash factor.

Carol said...

Good smelling play dough = snack. Yum.

Susie Sunshine said...

I'd be the kid who gobbled down the entire heart before anyone had a chance to stop me.

Stephanie said...

What an adorable idea. I'm going to bookmark this for next year. :)