Wednesday, September 17, 2008

sock monkey goes to school

Thought you'd seen the last of the sock monkey projects, did you?
Trixie couldn't start preschool without a backpack - one that wasn't larger than her.
The basic size/pattern is McCalls 5341, though I didn't use their embellishment patterns and I altered the straps.

The applique is woven fabric from the funky monkey line by Moda with wool felt for the arms and mouth. (The brown fabric was also used to line the pack.) The orange cordorouy fabric was thrifted. I sketched out one of the basic monkeys from another fabric in the same line. The ears were sewn separately with a pleat in the center so they'd have a little dimension. The applique was attached with wonder under and a zig zag stitch. The wool felt was applied with edgestitching.

The pattern calls for a standard length of strap, but there's no way the same size will fit Trixie if she has her winter coat on. I cut the straps longer and added D rings for future adjustments.
If I play my cards right, I might have a sock monkey on Halloween...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Catalyst Of Calamity said...

Oh! The CUTENESS! Sock Monkeys are always adorable but that backpack takes the prize. Great work!

Stephanie said...

This is so very cute. She must love it!

I am adding you to my bloglines because every time I stop by I love what reading about what you've been up to. :)