Monday, October 20, 2008

carissa's blocks

This month's Common Threads challenge was a blast. Carissa gave us free reign to create whatever we wanted - any size, any combinations, even the option to create more than one block. I think being able to do more than one actually helped me get going on this project.
I knew the minute I saw this stripe that I wanted to cut it up and change the direction of each piece. This basketweave block was the result.
This was my interpretation of the blending of the two feature fabrics and the muslin that she sent my way. I played with the stripes again, but added some embroidery to bridge the gap.

The embroidery motifs that I'd add to this fabric were obvious the minute I looked at it. I'm still not positive I like the stripe on that one side, but I wanted to use all three together and I was running very short on the stripe by the time I got to this one. Carissa asked that we send any scraps back if there of significant size. I used every single bit of the stripe.

This one gives me a flashback to girl scout camp in the mid-70's. Didn't we all make God's eyes with popsicle sticks and yarn? I gave hand applique a little go round on this one as well.

Thanks for the fun Carissa!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jacquie said...

you blow me away every time i see your blocks. you are soo creative. i'm slayed!