Tuesday, January 8, 2008

better late than never

Finally catching up with posting the gifts I couldn't show you before the holiday.
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that this bedside organizer was a gift for Christmas 2006. Fortunately, Trish is a patient woman. She chose fabrics that she loved and a pattern from In Stitches. There's an identical organizer hanging on the other side of the bed. The pattern was adapted slightly since Trish doesn't have a need for a pocket to hold reading glasses - yet. It's hard to see, but there's a large magazine pocket that has an opening right where the comforter meets the top of the organizer.



Now I shouldn't mention that part of the reason this didn't get made ages ago is that I was waiting on a measurement from her... The pattern calls for a piece of fabric the width of the mattress to which both organizers are attached and since mattress sizes vary slighlty from manufacturer to manufacturer I didn't want to just measure my bed and call it a day. I settled on this as a way to make sure it would fit:


I cut two pieces of fabric for the part on the mattress slightly shorter than the pattern called for. Another piece was cut to be inserted between those two and had large pintucks run through it with a basting stitch. Once Trish got it on the box spring she could release as many pintucks as needed to make it fit properly. Pretty pleased with myself over this one.

No comments: