Oh look, another tee shirt for Ellie. (I promise there won't be many more - I'm about done with her summer wardrobe.)
I decided to try a new technique on this one - reverse applique. The applique fabric is attached underneath the tee shirt fabric and the tee shirt is cut away after it's sewn in place.
I cut out a large circle of floral fabric first and serged the edges. It was held in place during sewing with some temporary basting spray. The applique shape was drawn with water soluble marker on the front of the tee. I wanted the stitching to really stand out, so I chose a stitch on my machine that goes over each stitch three times. It meant sewing very slowly to be sure when turning around curves, I was doing so after a stitch was completed. (It took a while before I stopped counting 1,2,3 in my head over and over again.) The last step was VERY carefully cutting away the excess tee shirt fabric from the center of the design.
I was hoping the knit fabric would roll up a bit more. Perhaps with successive washings.