I did it! I mastered a new stitch on my serger. Well, mastered may be too strong a word. Let's say, I can use it with a decent amount of success. It's the cover stitch. That's the stitch you see at the hems of tee shirts that looks like two rows of stitching on the outside and is a whole mess of thread underneath.
I shortened three tee shirts for my mother-in-law using it and I only messed up a bit on one of them.
It may not sound like much, but using that stitch requires moving and changing the types of needles used, releasing the cutting blade, disengaging a looper, completely rethreading the machine, and changing the cover plate - not necessarily in that order. And I did it. And it worked.
The serger is back to being set up for a basic overlock again, but I'm considering one of my crafting 2008 resolutions to be met.