Saturday, December 8, 2007

flashback

Did you grow up in the 70's? Look familiar?


I took one look at this fabric from Kim's grandmother's stash and it felt like going back in time about 30 years. I'm not sure what she thought of my taste when I said I'd take it. I'm not alone though. Pam liked it too and this is the result:


A messenger bag on an acid trip.







The bag is a variation on Angry Chicken's clutch from Bend the Rules Sewing. This one is quite a bit larger than her pattern and I've added the long strap so it can be worn across the body.


The lining was another piece of thrifted, non-natural fabric that I'm hoping never to work with again. It shredded at the edges, slipped all over and was generally a pain. The only thing it had going for it was that it cost less than a quarter. The button is a vintage cover-it-yourself deal. I just centered one of the paisleys over the middle of it. (Hint for Carol - when you cut out your circle of fabric to cover the top of the buton, spray the back with temporary adhesive spray and it will stay in place when you're stretching it over the prongs.)





Sorry about blinding you with the next photo. It's a detail of the stitching holding the strap on the back of the bag.





Go rub your eyes now.

No comments: