Friday, April 24, 2009

staircase redone, check

Look how lovely- beige commercial grade carpeting that came with the house. So did the stains about halfway up the steps, though I'm sure the kids have left their own marks.
What I found after ripping it out (there's just no chance of refinishing that mess)-

And now-

Aaaah. I still get a little charge every time I round the corner to go upstairs and see it in all its stripey glory.
The runners are from Dash and Albert. I ordered two 12' runners to make sure I'd have plenty to work with. The installation started at the bottom of the staircase. The first runner ended on a riser about 2/3 of the way up. The second runner overlaps that one and reached the top stair with about 5 feet to spare. I ran two rows of zig zag stitching where I wanted that one to end, then cut the excess off in the middle of the two rows of stitching. That end was folded under before I put in the final row of staples. I sewed some rug binding tape(looks just like twill tape, but wider and is a deep beige color) to the zig zagged edge of the remnant, folded it under to hide it and ran a straight stitch to hold it in place.
It's the right length for the kitchen. Bonus!

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Melissa said...

This looks amazing. Nice work. And the bonus kitchen rug looks fabulous.

Carol said...

So nice!

jenny said...

the stripes are terrific. what a huge transformation!

Amber said...

Wow! Amazing job - the stairs look fantastic and the rug fits perfectly!

Poppy B. said...

There are times when you just amaze me.

And this is one of those times.

At least you didn't weave the runners. I'm cherishing the idea that you had to go out and buy them, just like everyone else.

Meredith said...

Absolutely lovely!

I almost wish we didn't live in a flat little 50's ranch now--just so I could have a staircase runner!

Jan said...

I was just in the Uptown Shop this afternoon which prompted me to wonder...hmmm, did Wendy carpet that stairway yet? Wow! Looks great!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I adore Dash & Albert striped rugs!!! Great transformation!

Mrs. Jones said...

That is gorgeous! I have been dying to rip out the special builder carpet on my stairs, too.

~Heather

jacquie said...

that's a big job! such a great change!!!

Rebekah said...

I love the new runner! It's so striking...and it looks cute in your kitchen too